Monday, January 17, 2005

Left Brain/Right Brain - Brain Brain Brain

So I'm trying to figure out why I'm only graying on the right side of my head and came across this article debunking the church's reliance on this theory...

So let me get this straight - according to certain members of the Christian church, my mother was too left-brained to be healed by the laying on of hands, and it was not because she was too sick.

I had no idea faith was migratory.

This is my favorite paragraph:

-  Gary Smalley is one such professing Christian teaching this right-brain/left-brain nonsense. According to Smalley, because women are "right-brained," they are "more in touch" with their feelings. On the basis of this theory, Smalley approaches the marriage relationship from a selfish wife's point of view, and concentrates on how the wife can get her husband to meet all of her so-called needs, rather than how she can be a loving help-mate to him. Smalley, therefore, actually promotes a form of female dominance in the marriage relationship. Smalley's popularization of right-brain/left-brain has been largely due to his book The Language of Love (published and promoted by James Dobson's Focus on the Family Radio program), co-authored by Smalley and fellow psychologist, John Trent. The book touts "emotional word pictures" as the means of "activating" the "right brain," alleged to be essential for a wife to communicate with her husband.

I'm all for female dominance...I'll be attempting to make Morgan be more "right-brained" so I can get what I want from now on.

I still haven't figured out why I'm graying on the right side.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Gene George said...

Silence wench and maketh the menfolk waffle sticks!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger CMC said...

Mmm...waffle sticks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home