Tuesday, June 06, 2006

3.767

My GPA for my first semester.

I got an A(?!) in Information Retrieval. From the instructor who is notorious for not giving out As. This is a quote from the grading section of the course website:

An A in this class is rare. At this level of study, an A is reserved for extraordinary work that goes beyond course expectations and requirements by making an original, scholarly contribution.

??

I barely kept up, I thought. However, she was out there in terms of her philosophies about information and I played along.

And I'm finding that in grad school, even more than in undergrad, playing along can make all the difference. Fortunately, I learned that skill early. I don't compromise my ideas just to please my instructors, but I've learned how to tweak things to make people like them. It makes me think that perhaps I understand people, even if I don't like them. And people like me. Why? I have no idea.

If I really do understand others, I guess that'll make me a fine librarian.

Hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home