Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Today's Question

I always say that I don't give money to beggars, but if they want food I'll gladly buy some for them.

So this morning a dude approaches me outside of the grocery store and asks if I'll buy him some chicken.

And I did - but the entire time I'm thinking, "what if he does this all day and totally plays on people's generosity? And at the end of the day he has gotten all his meals and maybe more than I've eaten during that same period?"

But what if he was really hungry? It was $3 I'll never miss, and at least I know he's not drinking his breakfast.

So why do I feel like a fool?

And why am I so cynical about the whole thing? Why can't I just believe that he was hungry and needed some food and he wasn't scamming me?

When did I quit trusting everyone?

I don't feel like I did something nice for another person - I feel like a heel.

2 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Gene George said...

Raw chicken?

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Gene George said...

I want some chicken now too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home