Saturday, November 24, 2007

State of the Union

So I turn 30 in five days. It's finally sinking in, I think, but I'm not dwelling too much on it, especially since I'm in the midst of reviewing Russian archival practices and creating wikis. I have a friend whose daughter-in-law quietly turned 30 this past week, and we've decided that it has a lot to do with where one is in life when it hits. His d-i-l is married, has a house and a new baby. She's at a good place in life, so being 30 is nothing.

I think that's why I'm pretty at peace with it. I've been married for years, I have a good job, I live in a house (that while not my own is a fine place to be until I find the foreclosure of my dreams), and I'm six months from getting my MLIS. If I were single, living by myself in a studio apartment with a purse dog or worse and working some lame job, I might be freaking out about it. But I'm okay.

30 might be the best year yet.

In the next five days, I'll say a few things to my younger self. Things I wish I had any clue about 10 or 15 years ago. Because sometimes I wish I could just put my arms around age 15 and tell her that it'll be okay - better than she ever imagined...she could've used that.

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fear the 30s. For me they have been the best decade so far. I think you will enjoy yours too ^_^
P.S. - too bad about NaBloPoMo. It is really hard to write everyday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home