Sunday, November 05, 2006

How Do They Do It?

I hate to snark about my fellow students, but there is one thing that completely mystifies me sometimes...

How some people get a Masters degree. I have seen the questions that they ask on the discussion boards, and it frightens me. A lot. There's a minimum level of competency that one expects from the students in a Masters program. Like knowing that LIBR 200-12 is section 12 of that class, and you don't have to take all of the 200 classes just because they all have a different number after the 200.

Yes, a lot of students are returning to school after many years. But they got Bachelor's degrees once. The process isn't much different today, besides the fact that it's all computerized, and if you're going to be a librarian in the 21st century you'd better be comfortable with that fact.

I'm taking my snobbery and going home now.

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

A little snobbery is justified at times. People, even educated people, can be amazingly ignorant.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger shelleycoughlin said...

While getting my Master's in Library Science I found myself in a constant state of amazement at the sheer ignorance of many of my fellow classmates. My favorite, though, is when people get emails from a listserv and constantly hit "Reply All", so that I get about 7,000 emails in one day on topics that have nothing to do with me.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Gene George said...

200 classes sure is a lot of classes. Man, Librariams is smart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home