Thursday, August 16, 2007

Nine Months.

What...wait?

It's not what you think. Nine months from tomorrow I will receive a lemon yellow hood and I'll be able to add "MLIS" after my name. And you bet your ass I'm going to use those letters. I paid good money for them.

Somehow that seems like a really short time period. And maybe I'm already freaking out about it? Except - I don't know why. It's not like I'm going to be dumped out on the street with a piece of paper and no job. I guess it's the whole idea of starting over again in a new industry with little experience and not being 21 anymore when I could take a job that paid less just to gain that experience.

Yay adulthood!

I won't even BE in my 20s anymore. Not that I'm sad about that...everyone in my office looks at me in astonishment when I tell them how old I am. Either that or envy - it's hard to say. And if 30 means a Masters degree, then bring it on.

But I have decisions to make - decisions that hinge on what happens in this office over the next six months. I've finally gotten into a position where I can do the document control and records management and archiving work I've wanted to do - and it's only taken me five years to get there.

Five years. It was properly celebrated this week, and I was caked and flowered and raised accordingly. I feel like if I can continue on this path here, it's going to take something special to make me leave.

Something that allows me to work in my pajamas.

But for now, I'm going to focus on getting through my last two semesters and trying to learn something else useful - that has meant switching my fall schedule twice in the last week. This also means I most likely won't be taking Instructional Design, which is the one class I really wanted to get in before graduating, but not at the cost of suffering through another completely unorganized and vague learning experience. Thanks, had enough of those.

So, next up is Archives and a seminar in Electronic Communication. Because I? Am the next gen librarian who will be well-versed in Web 2.0 in the hopes it gets me a job where the dress code allows various sets of PJs. Because I loves me some PJs.

2 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Gene George said...

Ween and Library Science sittin' in a tree KISSING. First comes love then comes marriage then comes the MLIS in the baby carriage

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nine months will fly by! Then you'll be on an MSLIS pedestal, FOREVER. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home