Monday, September 15, 2008

These Days

I really wanted to go right back to bed this morning. I wish I were one of those people who just says, "Screw it - I'm staying home today" whenever they don't feel like going to work. At one point in my life I think I did that, actually - then I guess I grew up and decided I needed to drag my butt to work whether I wanted to or not. Most days I'm not sorry that I do, and hopefully today will be one of those days.

My life really isn't all doom and gloom. While I might be suffering from ennui and frustration over my current career status and the chaotic lameness in which I work, things outside those four walls are pretty okay. I mean, we're kinda broke and my other half is about five minutes from the temp agency, but our bills are paid and we eat well and we're way further ahead than most of the world. I know people who are absolutely stuck in their circumstances with no way out and when I look at them I realize that I really have nothing to complain about, because I always have an out. It might not be ideal, but I have somewhere to go and I still have a good job that I could commute to if needed.

Sometimes, though, it feels good to complain for a minute.

I guess that's why I drag myself into work five days a week, work more than I need to, and try to help everyone else along the way. Because it could've been me on the chopping block on Friday.

And then I'd REALLY have to complain.

On to fun things! My dog came with me to work on Friday and she was a big hit. I think she snowed everyone with her glowing personality, and the fact that she didn't eat pencils. She has been invited back, so she's ahead of one of the other dogs who can't come to work anymore.

Saturday I visited a friend's mom - his 85-year-old Polish mother who likes to have shots with me, and then mixes her Polish and Spanish together into a very entertaining mash-up of languages.

And yesterday? I had a three-hour brunch. I almost had to lie down in the middle of it because holy crap I had a lot of champagne. Then I went home and slept all afternoon and finally was aware enough to go pick up my other half at the airport last night, much to the dog's delight.

Up next - birthday parties and company picnics and the Portland Polish Festival.

Things might be okay.

2 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger shelleycoughlin said...

I wish we had "company picnics". I'm lucky if we get to do a scavenger hunt in the snow.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Gene George said...

WEEEEEN!

It is OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home