Friday, January 16, 2009

Winning the Battle but Losing the War?

I'm pretty sure that sums up everything. Happy new year!

Actually, while things are stranger than usual and I've suddenly become averse to eating whatever I take out for dinner, life is pretty okay these days. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's 80 degrees and sunny in Southern California - it goes a long way to helping one's mood during January.

Work is very quiet, and more people disappear every week. The other day the boss didn't see anyone when he came in the back door and was afraid the rapture had taken place. That's how few people are left, but it's the same all over in our industry and no one is horribly concerned. Yet.

I keep picking up contracting work that fills in our income gap nicely and while I fear that I might have a house husband for the rest of our days together, we aren't on the brink of having to move right now and that relieves a lot of stress. And our retirement fund is still intact. Sometimes I curse my computer when I'm sitting in front of it on Sunday afternoon and we're moving office furniture all day tomorrow, but money is money.

Don't ask me how we've made it a year with only one steady income, because I have no idea. Someday I'd like to have two incomes that come from two people, though.

My angst these days stems from the fact that I wonder if this is it. Will we still be renting a house in 20 years, working the same types of jobs, never doing the "big things" we've always dreamed of doing?

I know. You'd think it would be enough that I have a job(s), a house, and can choose between sausage or a bowl of corn flakes for dinner. Because plenty of people don't have any of that right now.

And I'm sitting here considering trying to buy one of their houses.

Am asshole. Yes.

And it's back to fighting the good fight for WWII footage.

1 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger shelleycoughlin said...

Oh lady, I worry about the same things. And I don't even live in a rented house, I am in an apartment. And my YOUNGER sister is getting married before me.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are still employed and relatively happy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home